Wednesday, August 28, 2013

How *they* view *us* : Part II

A couple of days ago I shared some of the reactions I have gotten upon telling people here that I am American. I'd like to share another similarly amusing interaction I had today in Sprachproduktion (aka "conversation class").

It was 10:30am, five minutes after the class was supposed to begin. It was the second-to-last day of class, so things were moving slowly, and the teacher had yet to get started. I greeted my right-side neighbor, a young, hearty woman with chin-length brown hair framing her round face. She wore chunky black plastic frames over her round, brown eyes.

"Are you new in the class?" she asked. Hmm...guess I'm not making such a strong impression.

"Nein, nein. Where are you from?"

"Romania, but I've been here already for a year, studying xyz [something in German I can't understand]. And you?"

"America, but -- "

"AmEREEKA!" she explodes. 

"Yeah...but I've been here in Deutschland for 2.5 months, and I think I'm going to stay for the next year..."

She tilts her head and squints her eyes in confusion. I think I see her upper lip begin to quiver. "But......why? Why would you stay....here,when you could be in......America?"


No comments: