Monday, April 30, 2012

Tomorrow's Monday, will you pass the test?

A few months back I was talking with my older brother Frank (he is three years older than me - to the day!), and he asked me whether I like my Americorps gig/job. I stalled for a bit, not wanting to blurt a quick response, and in my characteristically indecisive way, said, "Well, it depends. Sometimes I enjoy it, but other times it's really sad. And of course I don't like sitting inside most of the day, but it's not that bad." There was silence on the other then. "Hmm....let me ask you something, Law, do you pass the Monday test?"

"The whahhh?" I said.

"The Monday test...," he repeated, with a tone in his voice that insinuated that everyone in the world knows about this. "Do you wake up on Monday mornings wishing you could hide under the covers?"

Luckily, I can say that I reach the weekly benchmark, and get out of bed without trouble, though I don't usually pump my fists in the air and start doing cartwheels on the wood floor (perhaps I will tomorrow). I do, however, wonder what my life would be like if I were earning my livelihood in a way that does not expose me to so much sadness and intricate, complex questions of social conditions. I hope that in six months I will have some more insight into the various aspects that I value and will seek in future work.

It's Monday; will you pass the test?

No comments: