Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Print photos from my trip

Before I left for India, I had to figure out what I was going to bring, besides my brain, to capture some of the images of my trip. Aunt Esther was generous enough to help me buy a snazzy Sony digital camera, but I also stocked up on color film to load into my old-school Nikon FM10 35mm camera. When I got to India, I found digital to be much more convenient, so I only ended up taking a couple of rolls of film. I just got them developed at CVS (I don't know how to develop color chemistry myself), and I was so impressed by a few of the prints. Print photography somehow captures a feeling that basic digital doesn't (though knowing how to use the manual settings on your digital camera helps a little in achieving certain visual techniques).

DJ submerged himself in Mumbai's Thieves' Market; I took a seat in this motorcycle side-car and relaxed, surprising Deej when he walked past me!


We woke up at maybe 5am to meet, along with two new Aussie friends, our taxi that took us to Tiger Hill, in Darjeeling, to watch the sunrise over the world's 3rd highest peak, Kanchenjunga. We could see a faint trace of Everest, too!

We took a guided walk around the periphery of Darjeeling; when we stopped for tea, this lady was sitting outside, washing clothes with some other women. She attracted me, maybe because of her smallness, apparent simplicity, or sure expression. It was a warm day, but I can't recall if she put that blanket over her just for the photograph. 
DJ got schemed by two balloon-wallas at Mumbai's Gateway, but he looks amused by the set-up. This "laugh because I may as well" attitude ingratiated him with many we met along the way.

I saw this woman at Mumbai's Gateway to India, and I could not resist asking her for her photo; it was really common for the Indians to ask for our picture, so I thought I could do the same!

Dejah Devereaux, from Boise, Idaho. She was 27, and just finishing up her college degree. Her age and experience endowed her with a special perspective, but she really was not all removed from the rest of the study abroad group. Look at her smile! It always gave me a good feeling.



1 comment:

Sanaz Arjomand said...

you are a lady of many talents. did you take many male portraits of non-family members during your trip? it seems like the ladies were more likely to catch your aesthetic eye.
-s